Caring for Craftsmanship
Timothy Oulton leathers are typically aniline, ensuring that the natural richness and feel of the leather’s original surface is maintained and celebrated as much as possible. Real leather is a natural product and as such, will often bear the hallmarks of its origin. Characteristics including scars, branding marks, creases and areas of grain variance are not detrimental to the durability of the product, they emphasise that authentic hides have been used rather than printed reproductions.
The natural and uncoated finish of Timothy Oulton leathers may acquire marks or colour discrepancies through wear and tear, for example when coming into contact with belt buckles or studding. This is normal and enriches the leather’s character and individuality over time.
Timothy Oulton offers a variety of leathers with different textures and finishes. It is important to note that softer hides may well develop wrinkles and creases during their first few weeks of use. This is normal and not a cause for concern.
Leather is one of the easiest upholstery materials to look after. It is naturally durable and grows more beautiful with age. Well-made leather furniture is an investment, and with a little bit of love and attention it can last for generations. We offer the following advice to help you care for your leather upholstery.
- Lightly dust and vacuum on a regular basis.
- Do not place your leather too close to a heat source, as it may cause it to crack and age prematurely.
- Protect your leather from direct sunlight and moonlight, as it may cause it to fade, discolour or crack. All leathers will fade over time, but darker colours may fade faster in direct sunlight.
- Avoid sitting on the arms, back or very edge of your leather furniture as this may cause distortion and/or damage.
- Be aware that clothing with transferable dyes, such as blue jeans, could transfer the dye onto light-coloured leather furniture.
- Never use “standard” cleaning products to remove dust, spills or stains from leather. Refer to the specialist care instructions below or use a reputable and recognised professional leather specialist.
On a number of our hides, specialist leather wipes and creams may be used. We recommend certain Leather Master products (Protection Cream Cloth and Pull Up Cream) to care for our leathers. Please refer to the table below for the list of leather finishes suitable for these care products. This advice includes any leather wipes provided when your furniture is delivered, as well as any future purchases of leather wipes. Avoid hard rubbing when cleaning your leather as this may damage the hand-finish and cause discoloration.
CAN USE LEATHER WIPES, LEATHER MASTER'S PROTECTION CREAM CLOTH AND PULL UP CREAM ON
- Antique Tobacco
- Antique Whisky
- Bull (Saddle Chair only)
- Heritage Black Carriage
- Heritage Fudge
- Old Saddle Black
- Old Saddle Cocoa
- Old Saddle Mocha
- Old Saddle Nut
- Vintage Bianco
- Vintage Cigar
- Cherokee Black
- Full Rebel (sparingly)
- Savage (sparingly)
- Matador Chocolate*
- Matador Naturale*
- Matador Nero*
- Matador Nuez*
NOT SUITABLE FOR LEATHER WIPES OR ANY CARE PRODUCTS
- Aussie Royal Grey
- Aussie Tobac
- Destroyed Black
- Destroyed Raw
- Safari Black
- Safari Charcoal
- Safari Nutmeg
- Safari Tobacco
- Scarecrow Black
- Scarecrow Brown
- Throne (Charlie Chair only)
- Wrecked Black
- Vagabond Black
- Vagabond Blue
- Vagabond Brown
- Vagabond Mustard
- Vagabond Red
- Buck’dN Brok’N
- Jack’dN Brok’N
Additional Care for Pixel studded leather
- Wipe up spills on studded leather immediately using a clean dry cloth.
- Do not clean the studs with bleach or any detergent containing sulphuric or hydrochloric acid.
- Avoid the use of steel wool or scouring pads as this will scratch the metal.
Additional care for the Hudson Collection
The Hudson cabinetry collection has been designed for entertaining at home. We recommend using Scotchgard Fabric & Upholstery Protector to protect the black fabric interior from moisture and condensation when using barware. We particularly recommend Scotchgarding the Hudson sideboard interior and the tray from the Hudson small bar cabinet.
For the Hudson sideboard:
- When in use, take care not to overfill the ice bucket in the sideboard.
- Condensation will appear on the outside of the ice bucket, take care to wipe down regularly when in use in order to reduce drops onto the fabric shelf below.
- Make sure glasses are fully dry before hanging.
- Wipe away any moisture from the fabric shelf as soon as possible.
- Apply Scotchgard every 3 months.
- Before using Scotchgard, empty the top compartment first (including any glasses and the ice bucket).
- Apply 2 coats of Scotchgard to the top and the shelf underneath the ice bucket (allow to dry between coats).
- Wipe off any spray residue from the hinges.
- Scotchgard will help to repel moisture, spills must still be wiped immediately.