POLISH YOUR BARTENDING SKILLS
Self-proclaimed “spirits evangelist” Jason Williams is one of the most talented bartenders ever to come out of Australia, having won Australian Bartender or Bar Manager of the Year an unprecedented 5 times.
We asked him for his top five tips for achieving the perfect cocktail.
1. Fresh is best – always use fresh produce.
2. Cocktails should be balanced, so stick to recipes. No one likes a cocktail that is too sour, too sweet, too strong or too weak.
3. Use quality ingredients, don’t scrimp on brands.
4. Ice is very important! Keep some large rubber ice molds in the freezer so you can make cocktails with larger, high quality ice.
5. Follow a simple formula of base spirit, sweet and sour to achieve balanced cocktails, then play with substituting different sweeteners, e.g. honey or agave instead of sugar.
And 2 more tips from us at Timothy Oulton:
6. Don't forget to eat while you drink, it will make it much more enjoyable.
7. Create a beautiful bar space where you can prepare your favourite poison.